Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 8, 2012

SUPER PLAY CORNER: JANUARY - MAY 1996

Get yourself a big cup of coffee, this is gonna be a big 'un.


Due to the number of Super Nintendo games drying right up into 1996, there was less to really talk about in magazines such as Super Play, and most discussion had moved on to the upcoming consoles, the already-released PlayStation which at this time was a nice piece of kit but didn't really have any great games yet, and the on-the-brink-of-release Nintendo64.


As usual, I'll just let you know that some of the images here are large and the writing might be difficult to read. If you can't make your browser view them full-size, just save the pictures to your computer and view them in the picture-viewer of your choice. Enjoy! ^_^


Yet another great idea that just never really took off. I was amazed that Nintendo actually had the tenacity to release the 64DD in Japan. It was an interesting experiment, and one of Nintendo's first entries into an online-enabled system. The bottom line is though, the Nintendo64 should have used the DD discs as its storage medium right off the bat. Sure, they didn't hold as much data as a CD, but they were at least better than cartridges! The mad collector in me would love to own a 64DD, so it could sit alongside the Virtual Boy and Panasonic Q that I don't own either. ;-)


I actually own 2 issues of "Weekly Famitsu." Even though I can hardly understand anything, they're still a fascinating read... ehhh... a fascinating "look."



Here we go! *ding ding* Place your bets, and back your favourite. They're both great games, but I've gotta say, I agree with Super Play's outcome for the victor.


... And here was the news that no self-respecting Super Nintendo fan wanted to hear. It was almost too horrible to be true... Square had abandoned Nintendo. Funny quote there from the American guy about how the Japanese Square branch sent the N64 development kits back to Nintendo. Ouch. That's gotta hurt the ol' pride!








So here's Super Play's Top 100 Super Nintendo games!
A quick count told me that I've played 49 of these games this year.
What do you reckon? Would you change much of this list? I was a bit sad to see that Seiken Densetsu 3 was nowhere on the list (It should definitely be in the Top 10!) but perhaps they just hadn't played much of it yet. They SHOULD have, since its Japanese release was in September 1995, and this issue was published in March 1996. Oh well.
I think I'd probably have to agree with their Number 1 spot, although I'd probably move Final Fantasy VI and Super Metroid a bit closer to the top.


Ah, the first whispers of the GameBoy Advance... Or more likely the GameBoy Color, since that was still 2 years away. Amazing that the old black-and-white GameBoy lasted for so long.
LOL @ "SnesBoy."




I must admit, I have a soft spot for good video game OSTs, in particular the more grand, sweeping R.P.G. scores like Uematsu's Final Fantasy. In fact, in just a few nights I am going to see the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra perform a one-off concert highlighting some video game music. Looking forward to that!


I included this Q&A page purely for the answer to the question posed in the bottom-left-hand corner. Namely, what the crap happened to Starfox 2? This is the closest we ever came to official confirmation that the game had been canned. In fact, there WAS no official confirmation. I think Nintendo just drew everyone's attention away towards the big black bohemoth looming on the horizon and hoped that everyone would forget about poor Fox and co.

Phew! Hope you found that enjoyable and / or insightful. There were only ever 4 more issues of Super Play, which I'll perhaps post up another time. Meanwhile, the new Donkey Kong / Mega Man video should be up in a day or two... It's gonna be pretty darn big... Possibly the longest episode yet. Yikes!

See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment